Get to know what we strive to do.
What is the Student Government Association (SGA)?
As the governing student body of Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), SGA’s role is to act as a liaison between the university administration and the student body and to serve as a forum to express student opinion. SGA provides opportunities for students to interact with members of the administration such as the Dean of Students and various Vice Presidents; SGA represents students and their opinions to improve academic and student life at IIT.
There are several branches that deal with specific issues. The Executive Board and Senate seats are elected positions, while the Judicial and Finance Board seats are appointed or nominated. In addition, SGA provides certain services to student organizations such as official recognition and distribution of funds.
So how do I get involved?
Five facts about SGA
- Behind the scenes, SGA is at the heart of campus life. The Senate approves new student organizations. The Finance Board allocates money from the Student Activity Fund (SAF) for student organizations. The Judicial Board ensures that the whole process is carried out fairly and represents the best interest of all students.
- Every student at IIT has at least two representatives in Senate. One representative based on your academic college and another based on your residency.
- SGA is the most diverse student organization on campus – not just because of the demographics of our members, but because we have the ability to impact many aspects of life on campus from academic programs to dining options and everything in between.
- Our process for tackling issues has built a great base of support among administrators, so we’ve garnered an impressive record of meeting student needs. To name a few: bringing back the Bog, recycling bins across campus, Galvin 24/5, Google apps for education, student discounts, and IPRO 2.0.
- SGA offers the largest number of leadership opportunities out of any student organization on campus; we have over 40 officers and our membership consists of the entire student body.
Meet the Executive Board
The leaders of SGA.
Rahul V Wadhwani
PresidentElectrical Engineering | Armour College of Engineering
Executive Vice PresidentBiomedical Engineering | Armour College of Engineering
Finance Board ChairElectrical & Computer Engineering | Armour College of Engineering
Vice President of Academic AffairsMechanical Engineering | Armour College of Engineering
Vice President of CommunicationsElectrical Engineering | Armour College of Engineering
Vice President of Student LifeComputer Engineering | Armour College of Engineering