What is the Student Government Association (SGA)?
As the governing student body of Illinois Institute of Technology, SGA’s role is to act as a liaison between the university’s administration and its student body, and to serve as a forum to express student opinion. SGA provides opportunities for students to interact with members of the administration and formulate policy that impacts the university in the long term. SGA represents students and their opinions to improve academic and student life at Illinois Tech.
There are several branches of SGA that deal with specific issues. Executive Board and Senate seats are elected positions, while the Judicial Board and Finance Board seats are appointed or nominated. Additionally, SGA committees are open to volunteers who need not be appointed or elected, and who simply wish to lead projects or get involved at the ground level.
How do I get involved?
You’re already on the right track to getting involved. Continue checking out the rest of our site or email us using our contact page. Any student may join a Senate committee, in which students provide direct input on important issues and lead project to address those issues. Students may run for an elected position as well, with Senate elections held in the Fall and Executive Board elections held in the Spring. Students may also be appointed to Judicial Board or Finance Board. All of these positions provide excellent opportunities to make a real difference at Illinois Tech. SGA is looking for motivated students who want to make an impact. No experience is required – just the desire to get involved and make a difference!
Executive Positions Summary
The SGA President is arguably one of the most influential student organization positions on the entire Illinois Tech campus. Primarily motivated by an innate desire to facilitate positive change across all facets of the university, the SGA President is tasked with representing the best interests of the entire student body to the highest echelons of university leadership. In addition to running the rest of the SGA Executive Board, this individual represents the voice of the student body to the university’s Board of Trustees, the university’s President, the Provost, and the Dean of Students. Through such opportunities, the SGA President is truly in an ideal position to represent the student body and bring their concerns and suggestions to the administrative bodies that can make them a reality.
Duties of the SGA President include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Representing the best interests of the student body and serving as their official voice
- Facilitating and leading regular meetings with the entire Executive Board
- Meeting with upper university administration, including the Board of Trustees, the President, the Provost, and the Dean of Students
- Serving as a member of the President’s Student Advisory Council (PSAC)
Executive Vice President
The SGA Executive Vice President fills a number of administrative roles to ensure that the organization is as fast, fun and efficient as possible. This individual presides over the student Senate, facilitating and moderating these biweekly meetings in which new student organizations propose for official status and senators discuss their ongoing projects. The Executive Vice President is tasked with ensuring proper parliamentary procedure is followed at these meetings so that as much discussion can occur in as quick a time as possible. In addition, the Executive Vice President is also the functional treasurer of SGA, tasked with preparing the organization’s budget, attending Finance Board advising, and entering purchase requests on behalf of the organization.
Duties of the SGA Executive Vice President include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Presiding over biweekly Senate hearings
- Serving as SGA’s treasurer
- Facilitating communications with new student organizations
- Holding individual senators accountable for their projects
Vice President of Academic Affairs
The SGA Vice President of Academic Affairs chairs the eponymous Academic Affairs Committee, focused on representing the desires of the students in changing or improving the academic environment of the university. As a committee Vice President, this individual leads a team of senators and volunteers in sourcing, ideating, and following through with student issues regarding their overall academic experience. The holder of this position functions as a resource for bringing about positive academic changes, whether they relate to classes, professors, or the overall educational atmosphere of the university.
Duties of the SGA Vice President of Academic Affairs include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Presiding over the Academic Affairs Committee and leading its senators and volunteers
- Serving as the primary resource for student issues regarding academic concerns
- Representing the best interests of the student body to the university’s faculty and administrators in regards to issues of academics
- Reporting to meetings of the University Faculty Council (UFC) and Undergraduate Studies Committee (UGSC).
Vice President of Communications
The SGA Vice President of Communications leads the namesake Communications Committee and, through this committee, ensures that SGA projects a unified image to the student body and university as a whole. This committee is the main link between SGA and the rest of the university body, by every means possible. In addition to helping SGA make itself known, the Vice President of Communications also assists in representing the university as a whole to the surrounding community, such as through volunteering initiatives. Along with its senators and volunteers, the Communications Committee is the primary voice of SGA.
Duties of the SGA Vice President of Communications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Presiding over the Communications Committee and leading its senators and volunteers
- Ensuring that the whole of SGA presents a unified image in all of is branding and advertising efforts
- Coordinating with existing campus medium outlets to advertise SGA and its ongoings to the student body
- Representing the university as a whole through collaborations with community organizations
Vice President of Student Life
The SGA Vice President of Student Life heads the titular Student Life Committee in improving the overall status of campus life through projects meant to address readily visible facets of university life, such as dining services, technology concerns, campus safety, and more. This individual leads the committee in addressing the individual grievances and suggestions of the student body in making the overall state of campus life better through everyday improvements.
Duties of the SGA Vice President of Student include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Presiding over the Student Life Committee and leading its senators and volunteers
- Assisting students in addressing issues of student life across the university
- Representing the best interests of the student body to the university’s faculty and administrators in regards to issues of student life
- Coordinating with campus departments and administration to bring about positive campus life changes
Finance Board Chair
The SGA Finance Board Chair oversees the Finance Board, ensuring that the advising and allocation processes proceed smoothly. The Finance Board Chair ensures that the board’s advisors are familiar with the Finance Board guidelines and treat all students and organizations fairly and professionally. This individual ensures that all student organization disbursements are consistent with Finance Board guidelines and the governing documents of the appropriate organization.
Duties of the Finance Board Chair include, but are not limited to, the following
- Ensuring the entire Advising Process runs smoothly
- Representing the Board as a whole and upholding all decisions made
- Acting without bias or judgment towards any specific individual or organization in official Finance Board decisions
- Holding the Finance Board advisors accountable to the organization and the guidelines